Posted to rec.woodworking
Garagewoodworks Garagewoodworks is offline

Default Flutes continued

On Nov 21, 6:27*pm, "Leon" wrote:
"GarageWoodworks" wrote in message

On Nov 21, 5:10 pm, "Leon" wrote:

I appreciate your candor Leon. *It is difficult to control/prevent the
shutter. *As the base fist hits the wedge (which is knife sharp) it
stops and then climbs. *This is mirrored in the flute. *You can see a
tiny 'step' in the bottom of the flute before it transitions to the
climb up. * I was able to make the step less noticeable with sandpaper
by curling it into a radius that complements the flute. *Not sure what
I will do yet. * The neander method of using a gauge might look nicer,
but I dont own any gauges. *:^|

To correct the problem, try doing it in reverse, start with the bit up high
and let it ease down into the line as you push it. *Gravity will not be
working against you and there should be less shutter.

Hey. I think the best solution might be to combine yours and Morris's
idea. Climb down the radiused wedge!!!