Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_6_] Leon[_6_] is offline

Default Flutes continued

"GarageWoodworks" wrote in message
On Nov 21, 5:10 pm, "Leon" wrote:

I appreciate your candor Leon. It is difficult to control/prevent the
shutter. As the base fist hits the wedge (which is knife sharp) it
stops and then climbs. This is mirrored in the flute. You can see a
tiny 'step' in the bottom of the flute before it transitions to the
climb up. I was able to make the step less noticeable with sandpaper
by curling it into a radius that complements the flute. Not sure what
I will do yet. The neander method of using a gauge might look nicer,
but I dont own any gauges. :^|

To correct the problem, try doing it in reverse, start with the bit up high
and let it ease down into the line as you push it. Gravity will not be
working against you and there should be less shutter.