Posted to rec.woodworking
Garagewoodworks Garagewoodworks is offline

Default Flutes continued

On Nov 21, 5:10*pm, "Leon" wrote:
"GarageWoodworks" wrote in message

Ok, *I tried making a few stopped flutes which terminate with a taper
using a wedge as discussed in a previous thread. *(Suggested by
SonomaProducts)

Here is the result:

http://www.garagewoodworks.com/shop_talk.php

Came out ok. *You can definitely see where the taper begins in the
flute (not a completely smooth transition). *This can probably be
fixed with a piece of sandpaper or just leaving it alone.

IMHO the stopped end looks better with out the taper. *And you don't have
the shutter as the router changes direction.

I have an example on a.b.p.w.

I appreciate your candor Leon. It is difficult to control/prevent the
shutter. As the base fist hits the wedge (which is knife sharp) it
stops and then climbs. This is mirrored in the flute. You can see a
tiny 'step' in the bottom of the flute before it transitions to the
climb up. I was able to make the step less noticeable with sandpaper
by curling it into a radius that complements the flute. Not sure what
I will do yet. The neander method of using a gauge might look nicer,
but I dont own any gauges. :^|