Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ATP* ATP* is offline

Default What's a good reliable generator, only worried about the generator part

"Ecnerwal" wrote in message
In article ,
Jon Anderson wrote:

What's a good reliable generator at the output end? Going to try to find
one with a bad engine, but want to make sure the other half will last a
while given the expense of having a replacement shipped over....

Northern Lights. Finding one with a bad engine may be a problem - the
whole unit works pretty reliably, but I guess you might find one with an
owner that didn't change the oil or something. They make land-based
units, but are more prevalent as a marine unit. That's a good thing for
worldwide parts availability.

Makes little difference (land or marine) if you are just grabbing the
generator end. I can make a few suggestions about using a marine unit on
land if you went that route, as I am doing that.

IMHO, 1800 or 1200 RPM (for 60 hz) units are the only reliable ones out
there - 3600 tend to have short lifetimes.

I've had a 3 KW Yanmar diesel for about twenty years, they're pricy but last
forever and use very little diesel. Noisy as hell though, it definitely
sounds like a diesel. Larger units have more sound deadening and larger
mufflers.