Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
david[_4_] david[_4_] is offline

Default Power supplies with solid polymer caps

On Sat, 21 Nov 2009 04:22:04 -0800, William Sommerwerck rearranged some
electrons to say:

I also suspect that the eco-fanaticism that has given us lead-free
solder doesn't help either, as the elevated process temperatures
required to get this hateful stuff to stick to anything other than
itself, is known to not do some components a lot of good, and I'm sure
that, no matter how comparitively brief these additional early-life
heat stresses on the electros are, they have to be at least another
potentially destructive factor to consider in terms of long life and
reliability ...

I wonder what's going to happen when these lead-free joints start
failing en masse... I can just see a class-action suit against the
European Economic Community.

It not just that... go search for "tin whiskers". We have nothing to
fear from the machines taking over, they will all fail a long time before
humans do.