Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default loft conversion _without_ strengthening roof?!?

In article ,
Roger Chapman wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article
,
Owain wrote:
AIUI there is no minimum height for a habitable room,

There is if a new build or conversion. Cost me loadsa money to raise the
ceiling height when extending an existing attic room.

It certainly used to be the case but I think you will find that the
minimum height requirement was restricted to stairs several years ago.

Right - I'm talking round about '90.

FWIW my downstairs headroom is just 6 feet under the beams which doesn't
much bother me as I am not that tall. The only real problem is lighting.
With the ceiling at just 6 inches higher choice of light fittings is
extremely restricted.

On a new build? Wouldn't that make it difficult to sell? I notice that
youngsters are getting taller. I'm 6 ft, and as a lad was taller than
most. Not anymore.

The clearance on the stairs is however another matter. I have long since
learnt to duck on the way down as the clearance is about a foot down on
modern regulations and, as the offending structure is a main floor beam,
there is no easy way round other than repositioning the stairs which
would be a major operation.

Seems weird not to have a minimum ceiling height these days considering
all the other regs?

--
*There are two sides to every divorce: Yours and **** head's*

Dave Plowman London SW