Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default Anyone moved to LED Lighting?

"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote:

Chuck wrote:

I will stay with old fashion bulbs as long as I can. My wife can't be
exposed to florescence bulbs. People with immune problems (arthritis or
lupus or fibromyalgia) react badly to the CFL type bulbs. They emit
ultra violet light like the sun does.

I have arthritis, and my rheumatologist has never suggested that I avoid
fluorescent lighting.

Nevertheless, I am trying to replace CFLs by LEDs -- but for the energy
savings, not for anything related to health.

Perce

If you're trying for energy savings, you're going the wrong way as LEDs
produce lower lumens per Watt than CFLs currently. The only way you get
energy savings with LEDs over CFLs currently is if you do exclusively
task lighting where the directionality of LEDs can let you use a lower
Wattage LED lamp than CFL. LEDs are certainly improving over time so
eventually they may pass CFLs for efficiency, but they don't currently.
The current LED lamps also suffer from color temperature inconsistencies
which are problematic if you have more than one LED lamp in a room.