Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ash[_4_] Ash[_4_] is offline

Default Whoa!!!

No, I'm not accusing anybody of 'not knowing anything', I'm suggesting
that people that don't understand structural principles shouldn't give
structural advice.

From the way you describe the work carried out on your own roof, I know
that you don't understand how your roof behaves structurally.

15 years ago when we bought our current house it was an absolute wreck of a
house and riddled with Dry Rot. We looked for professional structural advice
(especially as the dry rot was having a good old munch on the ground floor,
first floor and roof timbers) and the advice we were given was frighteningly
expensive and time consuming. A local builder had a look and for a tiny
fraction of the price and time he supported the house/roof with dozens of
acro props and in no time he'd cut out the ground floor, first floor and
roof timbers and replaced and treated all the roof and floor timbers.

Sorry 'roof' but sometimes the more accomplished DIY person or local builder
has more knowledge and common sense then the 'professionals' and their
certificates and diplomas.

Ash

PS. ... the house/roof is still standing and no sign of the dry rot