Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Allodoxaphobia Allodoxaphobia is offline

Default Will sunlight damage the electronics?

On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 17:49:50 -0400, mm wrote:
Will sunlight damage the electronics of a circuit board?

The power company installed a radio-controlled switch on my air
conditioner, and mounted it on the side of my house. It has an ugly
label which clashes with the natural look of my little yard.

I was peeling it off when I noticed that it covered a fairly darkly
tinted plastic window, and inside the window was the circuit board
that included the receiver and the control that turns the AC off when
the Power Company Central Command wants it to.

There is a much window below the label through which one can see a
green LED. In the late afternoon shaedI only knew I could see the
circuit board because I could see the glowing LED. (Does anyone know
if that means there is power to the AC, or only that there is power to
the controller device itself?)

I stopped unpeeling at that point. I don't want to cause their
product to wear out sooner than normal. I Would the sunlight harm
anything inside?

Just paint the $#%^$ thing to match the side of the house.

Jonesy
--
Marvin L Jones | jonz | W3DHJ | linux