Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected] stratus46@yahoo.com is offline

Default Power supplies with solid polymer caps

On Nov 20, 6:38*am, "William Sommerwerck"
wrote:
If I interpret your question correctly, it's meaningless.
Polymer capacitors (ie, plastic-dielectric caps, such as polystryrene,
Mylar, and Teflon) simply cannot produce the huge capacitances in small
spaces that electrolytics can. They cannot easily replace electrolytics.

I think the OP is referring to claims such as these:
http://event.asus.com/mb/5000hrs_VRM
*cough*

*cough", indeed.

65 degrees C is 149 degrees F. I doubt that the average computer gets much
past 100 degrees. I'm also curious as to how they can get so much
capacitance in such a small space using plastic dielectrics.

I've owned electronic equipment (that I bought myself) for 45 years. The
/only/ piece of equipment that failed because of a bad electrolytic was a
JVC hall synthesizer, which was manufactured with a run of bad caps. (I have
two of these, and the second one also needs cap replacement, though I
haven't gotten around to it.)

It's true that electrolytics are among the least reliable of components --
but they're not /that/ unreliable.

Yeah they are. I've personally changed a couple thousand - 10x more
than all other components combined - even mechanical wear out parts.