Posted to alt.home.repair
willshak willshak is offline

Default running a straight line through trees

on 11/19/2009 9:34 PM (ET) wrote the following:
On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 21:05:24 -0500, mm
wrote:

On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 17:21:44 -0500,
wrote:

On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 16:08:45 -0600, Jules
wrote:

On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 16:54:28 -0500, Kurt Ullman wrote:

You did not say why.

Ahh, there's a possibility that the vacant lot is going to be sold, so I
figured I should maybe mark the line a bit better than just the two
boundary poles. The lot's shaped such that any buyer would be unlikely to
pull trees down to put a building in (it's about 4 acres I think and the
extra effort of taking down an acre of trees doesn't seem sensible) - but
some folk can be strange :-)

We might just buy it ourselves eventually, but have too many financial
commitments for the next 3 months to think about that (OTOH once the snow
hits I bet it won't get much interest until next Spring)

If you want to
actually do something like build a fence, etc., then you probably should
get it surveyed.

Yes, calling in a professional is one option, although I'm curious how
they do it when they don't have line-of-sight either. I doubt 6" either
way is any big deal (it's just not the sort of place where people get
****ed about that kind of thing!) but I'm not sure if GPS is quite that
accurate (at least not the civilian stuff)

cheers

Jules

No, a GPS is definitely not accurate enough for that purpose.

The surveyor I talked to during the summer told me that his old model
was accurate to an inch, and his new model to a tenth of an inch.

I think these were 20 to 40,000 dollars, but still they meet the
definition of a GPS.

I seriously doubt the OP was talking about the very expensive and
accurate type of GPS used for surveying. I'm not sure one would work
for his particular application anyway, as those units need open sky
above to achieve that accuracy. This is a thick grove of trees...

Not only that but public grade GPSs can be off by a meter (3' 3")

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY