Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Speaking of soundproofing, what separates my townhouse from the next one?

On Wed, 18 Nov 2009 07:38:02 -0500, "dadiOH"
wrote:

hr(bob) wrote:

Now if the people above me would just tear out their
pergo floor, it would be really quiet.

Gotta love those hard floors

I lived in mexico for a while, most all builfings have poured concrete
(tiled) between stories. I lived in the bottom part of a two story
building. The people in the upper had two twin teen age sons...when they
came home from school it sounded like they were dribbling a bowling ball for
about a half hour.

Before the townhouse I lived in an apartment in Brooklyn for 11 years.
Originally, Mrs. Tieke lived up stairs, a woman about 80 who weighed
about 100 pounds. Beautiful apartment, with a grandfather clock whose
bells she turned off every evening. I didnt' hear them in the daytime
either.

Eventually she moved, and the last few years were a series of college
students. It was built as a very expensive building and I couldn't
hear them either. But for about a year they kept mvoing boxes around
in the room above my bedroom. I slept in the maid's room, off the
kitchen. I met the guy and he looked in good condition. I thought I
could embarrass him into making less noise, so I told him, "I'm
surprised a healthy guy like you can't move stuff more quietly."

He must have been giggling inside. Eventually I figured out that he
was lifting weights upstairs, and considering that, he was pretty
quiet when he laid them down.

Between my apartment and the next door neibhbor, the wall was cement
or concrete. Built in 1930.