Posted to alt.home.repair
JoeSpareBedroom[_3_] JoeSpareBedroom[_3_] is offline

Default National Ammo Day

wrote in message

I see both sides of the permit issue. But let's set that aside for a
moment.
I have a question for you.

Hypothetical situation: Your female creature looks out the window and
notices that a male neighbor is aiming a scoped rifle out from HIS window,
aimed at YOUR window. Cops are called. Rifle isn't loaded, and the
neighbor
says "I don't own binoculars, so I was just using the scope to check out
the
pretty lady across the street."

No law was broken. Cops are frustrated, but there's nothing they can do.
Go
with this as the truth for the moment and tell me what an intelligent gun
safety instructor would say about the situation.

No macho bar talk. Just the facts. I know it seems odd that I'm asking you
this, but please roll with it for now.

The first and most important rule for anyone who owns a gun. Never
point it at anybody. Loaded or unloaded.

If you pointed at anybody with your unloaded gun, and the person
at the end of the barrel feared for their life, or anyone witnessing
your pointed gun feared for the targets life, they would be justified
in taking you out. No warning needed. Bang your dead.

Correct - that's the answer:
http://www.nrahq.org/education/guide.asp

The idiot with the rifle later made it known that he was applying for a
pistol permit. His neighbors (including a friend of mine and his wife, both
shooters) contacted the appropriate parties to lodge a complaint. The
idiot's permit was denied.

In my opinion, this was an example of the system working for the community.
I already know the possible pitfalls. But I guess we're going to debate them
now.