Posted to alt.home.repair
Jules[_2_] Jules[_2_] is offline

Default running a straight line through trees

We've got a bunch of woodland that's partly on our property and partly on
a neighboring (vacant) plot. Runs for about 300' or so, and there's a
boundary marker either side of the woods.

I'd quite like to add a few more markers within the trees, just so we know
where the boundary is (and maybe fence at a later date) - question is, how
to mark it out? The woodland's too dense to see through to the other side,
even at night with a flashlight on one of the markers, so I can't just
walk and "home in" on it.

I'm not sure that GPS is accurate enough to do it that way - any other
clever tricks?

Did wonder about running two lines, meeting at one of the markers. All I
need to do is get them straight through the trees (which might be a
challenge in itself) - then I can presumably measure distance from each
to the other marker at the far end, translate that to a scrap of paper,
and calculate where the "true line" is between the two markers for any
given distance along one of my guide lines. Does that make sense? Maybe
there's a simpler way, though...

Ideas on a postcard, or on usenet, whichever is easier.

cheers

Jules