Posted to alt.home.repair
dadiOH[_3_] dadiOH[_3_] is offline

Default Patching cement board ceiling in kitchen

Pete from Boston wrote:
On Nov 19, 7:39 am, "dadiOH" wrote:
Pete from Boston wrote:
I've been helping some friends by doing a few drywall patches for
them after they had some plumbing work done, only to discover the
hole cut in their kitchen ceiling seems to be in cement board, not
drywall.

It's about 10" x 5", and it's not on a stud. The ceiling also has
the swirl-pattern, popcorn-texture plaster.

Now, I don't know if cement board is common in kitchen ceilings.
I've never come across it before, but I can understand why it makes
sense to have fire resistance there. I don't think it's required in
Massachusetts, though I've never done a new kitchen ceiling.

What's the best way to go about patching this? Should I cut back to
a stud and put in a new piece? Is there a practical way to put a
piece in without cutting a lot more out? (I'm a little worried about
cutting straight edges in it.) Can it be patched with some wet-
patching substance?

Easiest way would be to patch it with a piece of drywall..

1. Insert a piece of ply or 1x2 to bridge the hole. Put some glue on
parts that touch the drywall or screw to same.

2. Rough cut a piece of drywall or cement board that will fit in hole

3. Screw #2 to #1

4. Use drywall joint compound or plaster to fill gaps between hole
and patch

5. Sand smooth

I'll leave it to you to replicate the ceiling texture.

Is it ok to put drywall in under the tub plumbing?

If the tub leaks the water is going to go *somewhere* regardless of the
ceiling material. If using drywall worries you, use a patch cut from cement
board.

--

dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...