Posted to uk.d-i-y
chudford chudford is offline

Default Don't try this at home!

I received one of the shower flow reducers free from Eaga discussed
sometime ago in this group. Sent for so long ago that I had forgotten
about it.

I duly fitted it to save the planet and sure enough it reduced the
flow.

I should add at this point that I have a shower pump fitted (silly I
know).

Well there I was nicely soaped up and "enjoying" the reduced flow,
when suddenly there was a whooshing sound from behind the tiles and
the shower stopped. I quickly turned off the shower and there was
only a small damp patch on the ceiling below.

On removing the Aqualisa mixer I found that the plastic pipe fitting
on the shower feed from the mixer had disintegrated and the pipe
forced off.

So if you have a shower pump don't fit one of these flow reducers or
the mixer will be damaged by the build up of pressure in the system.

Just one final tip I got the part from the Shower Doctor in Edinburgh,
they are cheaper than most other shower spares suppliers and the new
part arrived next day. I am nothing to do with the company but I
thought they deserved a mention.

The new part was a pig to fit with only a small hole in the tiles to
work through, but it is working again now WITHOUT the flow reducer.