Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Digital bull****

In article ,
William Sommerwerck wrote:
I still believe that people who prefer LPs -- which includes young'uns
born after the introduction of the CD -- are simply reacting to the
colorations of a medium that, over a period of 40 years, was --
consciously or unconsciously -- tweaked to "sound good". As J Gordon
Holt said... "Live sound isn't always 'pretty'."

Absolutely. Many seem to think LPs and CDs just sort of arrive in the
home. And don't realise the expertise that goes into the recording which
they are made from. Nor is there usually any point in comparing one to the
other even from an identical commercial source recording as they both go
through different mastering processes. Sadly, these days there seems to be
the need to squash every last drop of level out of CDs resulting in actual
clipping.

I remember being disappointed in some early CDs made from analogue masters
where they added a steep fade at the end of each track to try and prevent
the tape hiss being apparent. Madness.

--
*I started out with nothing... and I still have most of it.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.