Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Key safe

David wrote:
Recently had one of those Careline things installed for an elderly
relative so she can get help if she has a fall by pressing a button on
a pendant. One of the options given was to install a key safe outside
the house so that staff can gain access in an emergency.

This seems eminently sensible.

They fit it at the rear of the house and I presume it is fitted in an
inconspicuous place. They are fitted by Age Concern for GBP50 and as
the retail price of the safes they fit
http://www.keysafe.co.uk/
is around GBP40, this seems very good.

Before I go ahead, are there any pitfalls of fitting one? Anything to
watch out for? Are the GE ones OK?

I happen to be the GE Keysafe approved installer for the ME postcodes :-)
If you buy from them direct & want it installed you pay extra & get a
voucher.

The appproved method of installation is 4 x dynobolts. Be easier to pull a
sailor off your sister than get one off the wall.

My daughter uses them all the time when attending 'grey lady down' calls.
Normally control will get the code & pass it on, but usual practice is to
ask a neighbour how old the person is - 90% of the time its the year of
birth - so don't do that!

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk