Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim W[_2_] Tim W[_2_] is offline

Default Generic "megger"

Peter Andrews
wibbled on Wednesday 18 November 2009 14:01

"Owain" wrote in message
On 18 Nov, 11:13, Bob Eager wrote:
It is, but it only needs to develop a few hundred V at a few mA across
a high resistance. That's why there's such a differnce in price between
it and those which also do continuity.

Not quite sure what you mean here. The one I got from TLC does both low
ohms and also insulation tests....

for £80?

Owain

This is the one that I was looking at:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/TMINS1600.html

Peter

That looks like the unbranded one we had on my course.

To be honest, it's probably quite adequate for the purpose the OP's stated.

I find stability and accuracy a must on the loop testers ( 1/2 ohm *does*
matter and I wouldn't like to use a cheap unbranded instrument for those)
but for an insulation test, as long as it can *reliably* tell the
difference between 199/299/whatever Megohms at 500V, and a few tens of
Megohms I'd be happy enough.

--
Tim Watts

This space intentionally left blank...