Posted to alt.home.repair
gpsman gpsman is offline

Default Leaking Inground Swimming Pool Eyeball Return

On Nov 16, 7:52*am, wrote:

We used air fro a shop vac to blow out the lines. * All 5 return lines
with eyeball fittings were slightly under water. * As I understand it,
the usual procedure is to remove the eyeball part of the fitting, blow
the lines with air, then with the air continuing to flow you insert
one of the rubber stopper plugs into the pipe opening and tighten the
wing nut, sealing it off.

SOP in freezing climes according to my ex-pool service is to drain the
pool below the outlets before blowing out the lines.

I use a shop vac (takes awhile), but it can't quite blow the line from
the skimmer to the bottom "drain" (it isn't a drain). Just barely
need a compressor for that.

The fee for pool winterizing is a bargain if you watch and learn what
they do. At $100 including chemicals and a "if it breaks we'll fix
it" guarantee it's a bargain anyway.

I only do it myself because timing getting all the leaves out and the
water balanced and stabilized is a real bitch for a pool in the woods
on top of a hill.
-----

- gpsman