Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rich Grise Rich Grise is offline

Default Best way to drill deep hole for conduit.

On Wed, 18 Nov 2009 05:13:56 -0800, stryped wrote:

Been trying to drill through that top plate for my 2 inch conduit. For
some reason, it looks extremely deep. Like it is 3 or 4 2x4's thick. I
used a spade bit with a long extension just to get a small hole. I will
have to install the conduit in small sections with pvc couplers because of
ceiling height. (No room to drop a 10 foot section in without hitting the
roof). So the hole will need to be the diameter of the coupler which is
about 2 3/4. Also, where i need to put the hole is right beside 2 electric
wires that drop down this wall into the panel.

What is the best, easiest way to cut this hole and to ensure it

I wouldn't drill a 2 3/4 hole in a stack of 2x4's; it'll wreck the
structural strength, and the beam could be at risk of breaking at the
new weak point.

Good Luck!
Rich