Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Heat balancing at church

Seven zones, seven thermostats, and seven heating plants.
Not sure what you mean "zoning controls".

Zoning controls presumed this was a zoned system as you had
implied.

CY: I could easily have used the wrong term.

If
this is in fact seven independent systems, it is not a zoned
system
(singular). Zoning controls would be such things as
motorized dampers or
valves that control zones fed be a common source furnace,
boiler, etc.

CY: The building has seven separate furnaces, with seven
blowers, thermostats, etc. There are three minisplit AC in
three offices. I have not been able to find any dampers.

At any rate, motion detecting secured thermostats and a
checkup of each
system to ensure it is operating properly will go a long way
towards
resolving the problem. Most times these issues are entirely
operator
error where users with no knowledge of thermostats mess with
them and
expect to feel instant changes in temperature, blissfully
ignorant of
thermal mass, lag times, btu/hr capacity, etc. Keep those
fingers off
the controls and suddenly thing start to work a lot better.

CY: I'm not sure the church would go for motion detecting
thermostats. But, it's a good idea. Presently, only one
thermostat appears to be able to set for seven days of the
week. That's the one in the chapel. I've got that set to
come on early, and switch off, late. Wish I could set the
other six furnaces to come on early in the day and have the
building comfortable before people arrive. Sigh.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Pete C." wrote in message
ter.com...

New thermostats with occupancy motion detectors and
password
lockout.
Can probably get some energy efficiency rebate for
automatic
motion
detecting occupancy control. Of course, also inspect the
system to
ensure that the zoning controls are working properly.