Posted to uk.d-i-y
Peter Andrews Peter Andrews is offline

Default Generic "megger"

"Owain" wrote in message
On 17 Nov, 23:31, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Peter Andrews pretended :
I've decided that I should add a resistance tester (generically known as
Megger) to my toolbox and have been surprised at how few there seem to
be
available - given that every electrician should(?) have one for testing.
TLC have one for about £80 - can anybody recommend this or another one
for
occasional use (2 - 3 times a year)!

Is this for professional use?

It is, but it only needs to develop a few hundred V at a few mA across
a high resistance. That's why there's such a differnce in price
between it and those which also do continuity.

Owain

I think Harry B was asking me if it is for professional use!

The answer is no - just an additional DIY comfort factor and occasional
fault finder (I had to borrow one recently).

Thanks everyone for your comments and advice - I shall ponder upon my
requirements a little longer.

Peter