Posted to uk.d-i-y
Clive Page[_2_] Clive Page[_2_] is offline

Default Electric shocks from new washing machine

In message , Roger
writes
It is the socket and/or wiring in the house that is faulty. It seems stupid
ask about changing a product but leaving faulty wiring and/or sockets!
Buy a socket tester, then get it sorted before you see the person killed.
I saw one person who had a wiring fault after he touched both taps to
put water in a sink, he was dead as the current flowed up one arm and down
the other. Others I have seen with some nasty burns, one person even
jumped backwards and hit a worktop with a knife on it! Cuts and burns
are easier to treat - bringing someone back to life is a touch more
difficult.

Well as I said in my original posting, obviously I suspect the house
wiring and have told him to use it only when plugged into a different
socket until that one has been checked and fixed.

I was surprised about the leakage from mains to earth in the appliance,
but others suggested that modern appliances have a mains filter which
has that effect. Thanks - that's news to me, though maybe I should have
guessed.

I suppose one could think of the effects of that leakage as a useful
warning: if you plug the washing machine into a socket with a poor earth
the shocks you get warn you that something is wrong. The old one, now
defunct, didn't do that.

--
Clive Page