Posted to alt.home.repair
DanG DanG is offline

Default Preserving paint brushes

Natural bristle brushes are for oil based finishes. Wash the
brush out with solvent until clean. If you've gotten paint up
into the heel, use a steel wire brush to get the paint out - I
usually use one just a matter of course, brush only towards the
tips. A good warm water and soap helps get out any residues.
Flick as dry as possible. Rinse one last time in clean thinner,
wrap in paper ( I use masking paper because the masking machine is
hanging handy). Hang by the handle. I guess we all get an
occasional loose hair, but I've not ever had enough to call it a
problem. I think the oils in the thinner help keep the bristles
soft.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

"Not@home" wrote in message
I have a collection of good brushes (natural bristle) that I keep
for fine painting, such as varnishing. I just finished
varnishing the new woodwork in a room we remodeled, and spent a
lot of time picking loose hairs out of the varnish. I had the
problem with both older and new brushes, so I'm thinking there
must be a problem with the way I clean or store them, that makes
the bristles brittle.

I clean them using thinner, then detergent, and finally fells
naptha soap. Then I let them dry and keep them on a shelf. I
recall seeing a device that suspended your brushes in, as I
recall, kerosene, to preserve them, but it never explained what
to do when you want to use one of these kerosene impregnated
brushes; I didn't think wiping them and then using them was a
good idea as I didn't want to get kerosene on my work, which
left the option of cleaning them, then waiting for them to dry
before using them, which could take a lot of time.

So what is the best way to preserve a good brush so it doesn't
leave bristles in your work?