tim

Default Splitting one house into two

"Brian S Gray" wrote in message
On 16 Oct 2003 13:43:11 -0700,
(Lobster) wrote:

Question is, how do you set about looking into this? The larger house
would be easy; other than isolating the electrics, all it needs is two
doorways bricking up and it's ready; but for the smaller property we'd
obviously need mains water, electricity, sewage etc laying on. There
would be no rear access to the property; any soil pipe would need to
be on the street - is that a problem? - or internal. What sort of
sums are we looking at here, for the getting the new services, legal
fees, architects, building control... Is this a viable project? Given
local conditions, we believe that the property would sell for 35-45K
more if separated.

TIA
David

As well as talking to your LA about building control, I think you
should also talk to them about planning approval. They may have
views on the desirability of more houses of a particular size - a
problem would seem more likely if you had been wishing to combine two
small houses to make a bigger one, but ask before spending money.

I suspect that if there is documentary evidence that the building was
originally two properties the planning department would have no
sustainable case to refuse a request to restore it to that. BC is
another matter and I suspect that the lack of independent access for
the sewerage is likley to be the largest problem.

tim