Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Electric shocks from new washing machine

on 17/11/2009, Clive Page supposed :
My elderly father has just bought a new AEG-Electrolux washer-drier. It was
delivered yesterday and I helped him get it installed and working. While
adjusting the feet with my hand between the casing and the concrete floor I
noticed a distinct tingling, until I disconnected the machine from the mains.
I thought that was odd, and wondered if the earth connection was not quite
right. But I was running late and keen to get home, so didn't follow it up
at the time, unfortunately.

This evening my father phoned me to say he got a distinct shock from the
metal barrel when unloading a new batch of clothes. Although his faculties
aren't as acute as they were, he's a retired electrician so fully aware of
the difference between a mild and a more serious electric shock. From his
description over the phone, it sounded like the latter.

The machine is in a back porch, and the mains socket has been in place for
maybe 30-40 years, so it might have a corroded earth connection - something
I'll obviously follow up as soon as I can.

Meanwhile I told him to try the machine on an extension lead so it can be
plugged into somewhere else in the adjacent kitchen, which ought to be ok.
If the leak between live and the metal casing of the machine is really large
it ought to blow a fuse or two when properly earthed.

Appliances like washing machines are clearly designed to be used when earthed
properly, but I assume they must be designed to be reasonably safe even when
accidentally used without a proper earth connection. Does anyone know if
there are rules on how much current can be allowed to leak from live to the
metal casing?

Also - even if it turns out to be badly earthed, is there a case to be made
that the machine is faulty and should be replaced by the shop if one gets a
detectable shock from it?

The shock could have been from a fault where by the ground is live and
the casing of the washer is properly earthed - just something to keep
in mind.

Now assuming the more likely shock from the case of the machine.
Machine these days are microprocessor controlled, so it will have a
filter on its mains input. The filter has some leakage to its earth
connection and if the machine lacks a proper earth, it would then be
possible to get a slight shock by touching the case and a ground.

Most likely scenario is the the socket you have plugged the washer in,
lacks an effective earth. Attend to it as a matter of urgency.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)