Posted to alt.home.repair
dadiOH[_3_] dadiOH[_3_] is offline

Default Rotting Window Frames

wrote:
On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 05:26:24 -0800 (PST), ransley
wrote:

On Nov 17, 7:13 am, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
"hr(bob) " wrote:

-snip-

Bondo as used in auto body repair works quite well and is commonly
available.

Before you do that- take some yellow pine, weigh it, take a chunk of
bondo and weigh it. Put both in water for a while & see how much
more water the bondo holds than the wood.

Auto-body bondo is not for wood. Bondo *does* make a wood repair
product though. I've never used it- but note that the directions say
"For Rotted Wood Problems, Use After Applying Rotted Wood
Stabilizer."

Jim

Bondo doesnt absorbe water its plastic, their 'wood' line is just
bondo, I used it this summer and compared it to regular bondo which
is alot cheaper.

Bondo absorbs moisture very easily. It is like a hard, open cell,
sponge. Very porous.

You must be using a different kind of Bondo...mine is talc (absorbs nothing)
bonded together with polyester resin (absorbs nothing), and a small amount
of magnesium carbonate. If it was porous it would make a lousy auto body
filler which is its primary use.

--

dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...