Posted to alt.home.repair
dadiOH[_3_] dadiOH[_3_] is offline

Default Rotting Window Frames

Peter H wrote:
I hope that someone from the excellent group can help me with this
one.

We've bought a 22 year-old house in the greater Toronto area. The
window frames on the western side of the house are beginning to rot
out. We had a home inspection done and the inspector suggested that
the windows should be replaced next year or the year after at the very
latest.

I'm wondering if there isn't some way to save the windows, or at least
delay the work. The windows are thermapane (sp?) and the seals are all
still good.

Could we not have the frames injected with a resin or something and
then seal them. It seems such a waste to trash the whole set of
windows because of this problem... not to mention the expense.

Yes, there are epoxies for that purpose; as mentioned, Git Rot is one.

The success in using them depends on the extent and type of rot; the epoxy
needs to penetrate into the entire rotted area. If the rot is "wet" rot and
superficial they would work IF the wood is completely dried first. If the
rot is deep "dry" rot, you would need to drill numerous holes and fill them
with epoxy...all the fungus causing the rot needs to be encapsulated. In
either case, any missing wood can be replaced with Bondo after the epoxy
sets.

How practical it is to do that is impossible to say without knowning the
extent of the rot. Quite possibly it would be cheaper to replace the
windows considering the amount of work to fix them, prime and paint.
Especially if the rot is also in the overhead member of the frame...try
getting thin epoxy into *that*

--

dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...