Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Rotting Window Frames

On 11/16/2009 6:58 PM Peter H spake thus:

I hope that someone from the excellent group can help me with this
one.

We've bought a 22 year-old house in the greater Toronto area. The
window frames on the western side of the house are beginning to rot
out. We had a home inspection done and the inspector suggested that
the windows should be replaced next year or the year after at the very
latest.

I'm wondering if there isn't some way to save the windows, or at least
delay the work. The windows are thermapane (sp?) and the seals are all
still good.

Could we not have the frames injected with a resin or something and
then seal them. It seems such a waste to trash the whole set of
windows because of this problem... not to mention the expense.

Having had recent experience doing just this, yes, it is possible to
save windows this way. Depends, of course, on the extent of the rot.

The window I rebuilt was a standard double-hung sash (single glazed),
but there's no reason the same technique shouldn't work for your windows.

The stuff you want to use is epoxy made for such purposes. I used
something called PC-Woody, basically epoxy mixed with wood dust to about
the consistency of peanut butter. I also embedded some steel hardware
(all-thread rod and an angle bracket) to restore structural integrity to
the corner that was completely rotted out.

It takes a bit of doing: I ended up making a crude form to mold the
stuff in. But it does work well.

--
Who needs a junta or a dictatorship when you have a Congress
blowing Wall Street, using the media as a condom?

- harvested from Usenet