Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] captainvideo462002@yahoo.com is offline

Default 12AX7, 7025, ECC83. ETC

On Nov 16, 8:42*pm, "Arfa Daily" wrote:
wrote in message

I have a Fender reissue model guitar amp in for service. It has 2
Fender 12AX7's that are microphonic. These are Chinese manufacture. I
have replaced them with 5814's which is some sort of 12AU7 type just
to get the amp working. There is no more microphonic problem, however
the amplifier sensitivity is now somewhat lower so perhaps that may
have a bearing on this. I realise that I have no 12AX7's in the shop
at all and would like to buy several, two for this amplifier and two
or three for stock. I was looking at NOS and JAN types online and
would like to go with either but I suffered real sticker shock when I
noticed the prices. I don't have much faith in the Russian or Chinese
tubes so I was hoping that someone could offer some advice as to a
source for good preamp tubes either new or tested used, and ones that
I don't have to worry about microphonics. Thanks, Lenny.

The shop that I do a lot of work for uses many Russian tubes, and I have, in
general, not found them to be a problem either reliability, spec or
microphony wise. Brands that he stocks are, for instance, Ruby and Electro
Harmonix. Do you have a music shop in your area ? They all stock replacement
tubes over here, so I guess they would there too. Genuine Fender supplied
tubes are not all that expensive, and likewise, Marshalls. However, preamp
tubes such as 12AX7 do tend to come in quality levels. For instance, some of
the 12AX7s that this particular shop stocks, are specced as "Premium Grade"
and retail for 21 GBP (around $33) each, although obviously not that much to
buy trade ...

Arfa

I've heard good things about Electro Harmonix from other people too.
Maybe I'll try some of these. Thanks, Lenny