Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Protection triac gated mains, on 600W power amp problem

N_Cook wrote:

I replaced the BC214 with a BC212 and as no TIC236 to hand , with a TIC226
for proving purposes, temp. There is now no sign of the broad spike trying
with the 25 ohm dropper, even to 100 percent mains. The 214 tests as 420 hFE
and I'll assume the triac is faulty. My triac test is little more than
go/no-go, as only substituting in a lamp dimmer set up, so may well work
with light duty and non inductive load. The 5.1V device tested as a 5V zener
, I wonder why 2x 1N4005 and not 2x 1N4001 in that area.

Inventory costs. Both are the same cost, and they needed the higher
voltage diode in other applications so why stock both?