Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Casper Casper is offline

Default Wood Help

Thanks for all the input. I've lost a fair amount to rot but I have
salvaged a fair amount. Hopefully it's now in a better location.

I've got about 6-10 logs left to cut but decided to leave them till
spring. I've put those inside my father-in-law's old corn crib, out of
the weather but where they should get good air circulation. With luck
those will dry out more and be ready to cut in the spring.

The stuff I already cut up I sorted and am currently using a piece of
the pear to carve a goose. It's coming out ok so far but I have found
a few tiny veins of punkiness. I haven't decided how I want to handle
them yet. I may leave them as is, seal them in or I might even clean
out the veins and put in some fancy ground stone or something. It'll
depend on how the rest of the wood looks once the carving is done.

So I've learned more this year about natural wood drying and log care.
Next year I'll know better how to cut, clean, plan, etc., so I can
start having ready wood every year. I'm really loving turning, scroll
sawing and carving but I think I've run out of hobby room.

Thanks for the wood/log education. Everyone here is a great and
appreciated wealth of knowledge.

`Casper