Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default CFL vs Incandescent fixture rating

On Nov 16, 6:21*am, George wrote:
David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 11/14/2009 6:34 PM Gordon Shumway spake thus:

SWMBO just bought a new table lamp for the desk in our computer room.
This lamp will be replacing one that uses two (2) 75 watt Incandescent
bulbs. *This new lamp uses only one (1) bulb. *The label says "60 watt
Incandescent or 15 watt CFL maximum." *This will probably not be
enough light for my old eyes.

I was under the impression that maximum wattage for a given fixture
was because of the fixtures ability to withstand the heat produced by
the bulb. *If that's true wouldn't one be able to use a higher output
CFL relative to the incandescent because of the lower heat the CFL
bulbs produce?

I would like to use the equivalent to a 100 watt incandescent, a 23
watt CFL. *Good or bad idea?

Bad idea. It's a myth that CFLs don't produce lots of heat. They do.

I now turn the discussion over to Don Klipstein ...

But "lots of heat" relative to what? I have honestly never heard this
myth. CFLs produce heat buy way less than a comparable output
incandescent lamp.- Hide quoted text -

Sure they put out Lots of Heat, relative to his AA battery
flashlights.