Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default range day

On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 23:56:42 -0600, Don Foreman
wrote:

On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 13:20:47 -0600, "Karl Townsend"
wrote:

There are sources on the net..or in Shotgun News for bullets for the
308. The pulled 148gr slugs are often a decent deal..and Accurate Arms
makes powder that works fine in the case..and cost about 25-50% less
than other brands.

Man, I got a lot to learn. I've already ordered some once used brass and 150
grain FMJ bullets. I see four powders offerred for 308
(2230,2460,2495,2520). Too much info for a clueless newbie, but I'd like to
reload .223 also with the same powder. Keep in mind I have no intention of
competing in shooting matches, just want quality servicable ammunition.
Would you go with 2520???

http://www.accuratepowder.com/data/A...escription.pdf

Or maybe 2460???

http://www.accuratepowder.com/data/A...escription.pdf

I didn't see prices. Should i just price compare?

Karl

I looked at some powders in QuickLoad v3.3. AA2460 and AA2520 will
certainly work in .308 but safe loads won't be as fast as factory ammo
with 150 gn bullets. A slower powder fits better.

Powders that look good for 150 gn FMJ in a shortish barrel are, in
decending order of muzzle velocity for safe max pressu

Vihtavuori N550
IMR3031
IMR4895
Winchester 760
Winchester 748
Hodgdon H4350
Hodgdon BL-C2

A lot of shooters really like Varget. It's a ways down the Quickload
list for that caliber and bullet but still within 75 fps of the
fastest, and Varget is a very consistent powder which bodes well for
accuracy. It's also very versatile.

However, I think all of these are extruded stick powders. If you're
going to meter volumetrically with your Dillon 550 then AA2520, which
is a ball powder, may be your best choice for .308.

Don't worry about stocking different powders for .223 and .308. You'll
go thru powder fast enough and it's not that pricey. A pound of
powder will load about 140 rounds of .308.

My recommendation for you, with your Dillon 550 and volumetric powder
dispensing, would be:

AA2460 for .223
AA2520 for .308

Good post.

I should mention that Bl-C2 is an extraordenaryly good powder for the
smaller cases..marvelous in 223, 22-250..up to 308. Ive shot many many
pounds of it. But..its got a rather narrow pressure range in most

It might be one of the best for both cartridges if one had to pick only
one. Varget is also good for both, and has a slightly wider band..but
is a bit slower for .308....humm...I think Id pick Varget over Blc2 if I
only had to use a single powder...come to think of it.

Btw..you guys may wish to print this out and post a copy on the wall of
your reloading shop....

http://www.reloadbench.com/burn.html

Burn rates by brand/type of powder

Fastest to slowest...

Gunner

"Aren't cats Libertarian? They just want to be left alone.
I think our dog is a Democrat, as he is always looking for a handout"
Unknown Usnet Poster

Heh, heh, I'm pretty sure my dog is a liberal - he has no balls.
Keyton