Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Dryer keeps trippng the main CU

Vass wrote:

Leaving it plugged in to the same socked with no changes at the CU
disconnecting the heater and running it for an hour did'nt trip.
So, can I be confident its the heater elements? or, could this just
reduce the load
when in fact it could be the combination of the motor etc ??

sadly yes.

Disconnect the lot, and put a resistance meter between heating coils and
earth., There should be NO detectable resistance there. If there is its
definitely new coil time. If there isn't, sadly it doesn't rule them
out, because they might short only when hot.

I hate intermittent faults. The Freelander had occasionally failed to
start for 18 months, until one day no amount of waiting, thumping the
bodywork near the fuel pump etc etc made it do so. Finally, I thought,
we can trace this fault..and know we have found it. New fuel pump and
off she goes.