Posted to uk.d-i-y
PeterC PeterC is offline

Default small fluorescent tube life

On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 22:22:16 +0000 (UTC), Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Bog standard (I assume) electronic mains powered surface mount white
box, pretty non descript really.

Not enough info to provide a useful answer.

Most of these I see are still mains magnetic ballasts and a starter.
Only tend to find electronic control gear in those with very slim
bodies (similar profile to the tube itself).

From limited searching, it would seem to be worth getting the electronic
ballast as the life of the tube can be twice as long as with the old type
of ballast.
Old-type ballast are a bit like NiCd batteries: still hanging around
although long superseded.
--
Peter.
it's been flattened with an angel-grinder.