Posted to alt.home.repair
hibb hibb is offline

Default House Electrical Problem

On Nov 15, 1:06*pm, wrote:
On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 16:35:07 -0800 (PST), hibb
wrote:

It started the other night. Several lights that are on the same
breaker started blinking on and off. After a while the blinking got
more frequent and then they started staying off longer. Then they just
would not come back on.

Next day, they came back on but still blink occasionally.

All I've done so far is to switch the breaker off and back on.

The circuit is the overhead kitchen light, the light over the stairs
to the upstairs, the ceiling light in the downstairs bedroom and a
fluorescent ceiling light in an upstairs room. All lights have their
own on/off switches with the light over the stairs having a switch at
the bottom and at the top of the stairs.

I'm wondering if it could be the breaker or if I have a short
somewhere. Seems like it would have to be somewhere between the first
light switch on the circuit and the breaker.

Anybody got any tips before I start taking things apart?

Thanks, David

First trip and reset the breaker a few times then;
My money is on one of the big "cludge" wire nuts full of white wires
in a ceiling box.
Backstabbed receptacles are #2 on the list.,

I have tripped the breaker a number of times. Today I opened up all
the switches for the 4 lights on the circuit to check if there is a
problem. I didn't find anything there and there were no backstabbed
units in any of them. Now I need to double check to see if any outlets
are also on that circuit. I haven't noticed any yet.

If I don't find anything there I might as well open up the breaker box
and start with the breaker and trace things forward from there. I hate
getting into the breaker box but I do have a switch outside that
transfers whole house power from the grid to a generator hook-up when
power goes out.

David