Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Tony Sivori Tony Sivori is offline

Default Problem Grounding a Generator

David Nebenzahl wrote:

On 11/15/2009 8:06 PM Tony Sivori spake thus:

Andrew Erickson wrote:

(In a standard residential setup, the neutral leg is tied to ground at
the main breaker box, and all neutral and ground wires go to the common
neutral/ground bar.

That much I did know. I even knew that the only place the neutral can be
grounded is at the junction box.

Don't say "junction box", as that statement will make all electricians
wince. You meant to say "breaker panel" or "distribution panel", right?

A slip of the tongue, or fingers, if you prefer.

I've found some more pages on the pros and cons of bonding a
portable generator floating neutral to ground.

http://blog.rv.net/2009/10/generator...and-grounding/

http://blog.rv.net/2009/10/portable-...tor-grounding/

--
Tony Sivori