Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Inverters & CFL

In article ,
"Newshound" writes:
I have no power at my stables, but successfully run electric fencers off old
(but serviceable) car batteries. For the winter I've tried running a
fluorescent tube and CFLs off a cheapo inverter but they indicate low
voltage after not much use. Is that because the inverter doesn't like the
CFL load? Would I be better off with incandescents or do I need a better
inverter?

I would use 12V fluorescents to avoid the inverter losses, such as
http://cpc.farnell.com/solar-technol...12v/dp/LA02713
or a 12V caravan fitting
http://cpc.farnell.com/_/12v-radiant...pin/dp/LA00362
http://cpc.farnell.com/eagle/l107b/l...-8w/dp/LA02381