Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Green Red Green is offline

Default Chimney caps

"benick" wrote in
:

"cshenk" wrote in message
wrote

have one of those aluminum caps. The house apparently went decades
with out one. On my street I say only 50% of the houses have
chimney caps.

Get one. Its not just for animals. It's also rain. Over time, rain
coming in damages the chimney just like eventually you get small
mortar repair needs on the outside. It can't be reached on the
inside though very easily so is $expensive$ to fix. For 35$, you
won't have that problem.

There are 2 types. The 'tension' type that just holds ther with a
sort of 'spring' which i do not advise, and the bolted sort (small
bolts are used to hold it firmly). Stainless Steel is best (mine is
aluminium and we replace it every 3 years or so).

As to putting one on, any handyman capable of getting on the roof,
can do this one. No special 'roofer' or 'chimney person' required.

How about a double flue chimney ?? Is there a single cap for both or
does each has it's own cap ???? I have a double flue and have never
had a cap...Never thought much about it till I read this thread.....

Just Google: chimney cap double