Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jim Yanik Jim Yanik is offline

Default Computer problem: motherboard or power supply

"Geoffrey S. Mendelson" wrote in
:

Daniel Prince wrote:
I have a home built PC with an Epox 8RGA+ motherboard. It has an AMD
Barton 2500+, and a gig of ram. I use the onboard video and sound.
My power supply is an Antec TruePower 420. Where would I look for a
similar working system?

Here in Israel, you can buy a dual core system that would be faster,
two Intel cores of 1.6gHz (if you want low power ATOM processors),
160g hard drive, 1g RAM (no optical drive), with ethernet, GMA 950
video and sound for $250, including 16.5% VAT.

If you crank that up to $330 (inluding VAT), you get a 1.8gHz dual
core regular processor. 2G ram, 320gb hard drive, a 20x DVD burner,
and a better graphics chip. Another $20 gets you a 2.gHz processor.

As for the power supply, the one included is a cheap generic that
probably be tossed in a couple of years when the fan goes, however
really good ones are not that expensive.

Geoff.

I had a microprocessor cooling fan load down the PS on my 900 Mhz Athlon
system,a new fan fixed the problem.But it's had the PS replaced a few years
after that.You can buy a replacement ATX supply for $20-60,depending on
wattage.CompUSA carries them,so do most any computer store.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik