Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default range day

On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 09:17:12 -0600, "Karl Townsend"
wrote:

I don't have a .308 so I know nothing about loads and projectiles. Decide
on those, Gunner might even have a mold for what you want. Lee makes a
bunch for less that $20. Read-up on lead bullets with/without gas checks
for a suitable load. I'm only starting into molding again after 30 years.
I'll be doing .38, 9mm and .45 pistol bullets.

Say, you seem to be a bullet expert. Any reason you can't turn yer own FMJ
on a lathe? What exact material? I got a CHNC that hasn't been run for three
months now. It will hold 2 tenths all day long. They must need plating after
turning. That's Don Forman's expertise.

Karl

Actually..they dont need plating at all. You can turn them from copper,
bronze and other similar alloys. Even brass. Though with
brass...velocities have to be kept pretty low.

often used for critters like Cape Horn Buffalo and so forth.

I should mention that stopping those bullets can be a real
issue......things like trees, buildings, motorvehicles etc tend to not
slow them down a hell of a lot.

A buddy of mine was CNC turning 50 BMG bullets for a secret government
entity..and they were winning shooting matches with great regularity. As
I recall..3" groups at 1000 yards was fairly common.

Gunner

"Aren't cats Libertarian? They just want to be left alone.
I think our dog is a Democrat, as he is always looking for a handout"
Unknown Usnet Poster

Heh, heh, I'm pretty sure my dog is a liberal - he has no balls.
Keyton