Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cutting glass - minimum you can take off?

Cicero wrote:
On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 00:26:53 +0000, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Calvin Sambrook wrote:
"no-one" wrote in message
Hi,

I have been given a pane of glass to replace a broken window but it
slightly to big. I'd like to take off 3-5mm but is this possible?
What is the minimum width of glass each side of a scored line that
you need in order to cut it cleanly?

Angle grinder. Not.

No, seriously though, provided it's not toughened it's perfectly
possible to grind glass, in fact it's a standard way to bevel the
edges after cutting. For smaller pieces there are bench tools to do
this but for a window size I'd probably go at it with my powerfile
on it's slowest setting.

What make of powerfile Calvin? I'm thinking of getting one.

If you're thinking of using it for glass a Black & Decker works well.
I recently bought a few pieces of mirror glass with polished edges. I
watched the glazier use a B&D power file to do the polishing (actually
'safe' edges rather than 'polished') and he told me that the best
results are obtained by lightly spraying the abrasive belt with
water. He also said that full polishing can be done the same way with
progressively finer grits. The file is used downwards on the edge
working towards the centre.

As far as I can discover B&D is the only power file available but I'd
be interested to see others as the B&D is a bit expensive for a
limited use tool.

Not specifically for glass, just general use. Only other one I've seem is
the Makita, which isn't cheap.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk