Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Dryer keeps trippng the main CU

Vass wrote:
My condenser tumble dryer keeps tripping the main 80A switch on my CU.

It runs fine (on half heat setting) for about 40 mins, then trips.

The socket in use is in the garage approx 5 mtrs direct spur to the CU
in the garage on a 16A circuit breaker which does not trip.

Nothing in the house except the fridge/freezer on the kitchen circuit is
on (apart from Sky box on standby) no electric shower etc.

Any ideas?

TIA

earth leakage issues.

Possibly damp electrics in the unit, or neutral/earth short on the ring.
Or a slightly high impedance joint that puts a spike on the mains when
it switches on or off, and allows transient earth currents through all
the capacitors in the RFI filters around the house.

Fit a 100mA 60A trip if you have a 30mA, and fit RCBO's to the 13A
sockets on the ground floor rings, and check for earth neutral shorts.
If it still happens, fix the bloody drier! I had a washing machine like
this. windings on a motor were shorted to the amarmature.