Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default dryer problem

On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 22:44:15 -0500, aemeijers
wrote:

Mikepier wrote:
On Nov 14, 10:12 pm, dpb wrote:
Joe wrote:
My old Kenmore electric dryer stopped turning off and stopped emitting
heat, all at once. I put a load in before bed and woke up with it
still spinning, cold. Do I have one problem to fix, or two?
Probably one if had set on auto cycle.

--

Sounds like the timer. When it reaches the end, the heat stops and is
suppose to air dry for like a minute or so. You notice the dial is at

Oh, I would easily believe one of those 'auto sensor' things acting
up.The dryer came with this house, and when I saw that setting, I of
course tried it. Damn drier never shut off,

My dryness sensor always works, always turns off the dryer, and it's
always about as dry as the last time, or less or more depending on
whether I started at a different setting. A Kenmore, probalby
Whirlpool, 30 years old. 26 of them with me.

It's the only setting I use.

I think there are two curved metal pieces about 1/2 to 1 inch apart
that the wet clothes are supposed to brush against, and I guess it
measures the resistance of the clothes, which increases as they dry.

I would like it a lot better if there were two dials, one that stayed
put showing where I had set it, and the other that moved closer to
dry. Instead there is only the second one. But I've memorized where
I start, usually half-way more damp than the do they have that I think
most people use, or a little damper. I mix stay press with towels,
and I want to take out the sta-press which gets dry early, and then
finish the towels, sweat shirt etc. I hang up the towels when
they're a little wet because they don't have to look that nice and I
don't want to pay to dry them.

I also use the coolest temp it has, other than no heat at all, because
I think high heat, or dry clothes in moderate heat, make stapress so
hot it stays wrinkled, forever or that one time, I don't know which.

and on mine, didn't turn the
heat down either. One of these days I need to field-strip that thing, or
pay somebody to do it, and fix the squeaky rollers and remove the 20
pounds of lint probably stuck inside, but until then, I just set it for
40 minutes or so, and keep restarting it as needed. (cleaning the lint
catcher each time, of course.)