Posted to sci.electronics.repair
D Yuniskis D Yuniskis is offline

Default Computer problem: motherboard or power supply

wrote:
On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 08:23:30 -0800, Daniel Prince
wrote:

What is more likely to be the problem, the motherboard or the power
supply? Is there any kind of test I could run to figure out what
the problem is? Thank you in advance for all replies.

It could very well be both. 6.5 years places it in the era where bad
capacitors were common. I'd suggest first checking teh CPU fan spins
freely. Next, look at the capacitors on the motherboard and look for
any that have bulging tops. If they look good, try replacing the
power supply. If all else fails, the holidays are coming; treat
yourself to a new computer.

www.badcaps.net/forum

Caps don't need to "bulge" to be "bad". I check the names
of the manufacturers. Also, I've seen "good" motherboards
have issues when there were bad caps in the *power supply*!

If you think caps are the problem, just replace the machine
(including power supply). They are cheap enough...