Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques Larry Jaques is offline

Default range day

On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 19:10:44 -0600, the infamous "Karl Townsend"
scrawled the following:

"The Kid" came out today to help with my new toy, a .308 semi auto rifle.
DPMS LR308 for those that know their rifle models. He brought his Glock 9MM
and I also got the Mini-14 (.223 semi auto) out too.

The Panther looks like a sweetheart.

We spent more than an hour sighting in the new gun on the bull bag. Its a
regular tack driver at 100 yards. Even better than my bolt action .270.

Bull bag? Oh, we have standard small sandbags at our range. I've used
them with a terrycloth towel. I can see how the suede cover and the x
shape of a Browning bulls bag would be better.

Every time we walked up close to check our shots. we'd each shoot a 1/2 clip
of glock 9MM. Used up 200 rounds. I kicked "the kid's" ass here. He needs
more practice. He'll be better than me next time - he's just had the gun a
week and never really shot a hand gun before.

Good, you both found your sweeter positions with different arms.

Then for off hand rifle shooting. I'm very used to the mini-14 and held
about a six inch diameter on the target if I shot slowly. More like a foot
for rapid fire. "The kid" is considerably better than me on the mini-14.
Used up over 100 rounds.

We also shot the DPMS-308 off hand. I am just plain TERRBILE with this heavy
gun off hand. Any tips on learning to shoot a heavy rifle?

Find a rest, any rest. Short of that, build up your upper body and
practice with it daily for 6 months. Cha CHING!

I could tell I
quickly tired and couldn't make nice little tight aim circles to shoot on
the down stroke (my mini 14 method) We stopped after two boxes of ammo, its
a buck a shot.

Ouch!

All in all a very fun day. I haven't spent an entire day with my son for a
few years now.

That's great, Karl. Congrats.

--
When we are planning for posterity,
we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary.