Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default range day

On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 19:10:44 -0600, "Karl Townsend"
wrote:

"The Kid" came out today to help with my new toy, a .308 semi auto rifle.
DPMS LR308 for those that know their rifle models. He brought his Glock 9MM
and I also got the Mini-14 (.223 semi auto) out too.

We spent more than an hour sighting in the new gun on the bull bag. Its a
regular tack driver at 100 yards. Even better than my bolt action .270.

Every time we walked up close to check our shots. we'd each shoot a 1/2 clip
of glock 9MM. Used up 200 rounds. I kicked "the kid's" ass here. He needs
more practice. He'll be better than me next time - he's just had the gun a
week and never really shot a hand gun before.

Then for off hand rifle shooting. I'm very used to the mini-14 and held
about a six inch diameter on the target if I shot slowly. More like a foot
for rapid fire. "The kid" is considerably better than me on the mini-14.
Used up over 100 rounds.

We also shot the DPMS-308 off hand. I am just plain TERRBILE with this heavy
gun off hand. Any tips on learning to shoot a heavy rifle? I could tell I
quickly tired and couldn't make nice little tight aim circles to shoot on
the down stroke (my mini 14 method) We stopped after two boxes of ammo, its
a buck a shot.

All in all a very fun day. I haven't spent an entire day with my son for a
few years now.

Karl

Karl...when you are standing up and shooting..how are you...em...have
momma take a few pictures of your stance and how you hold the rifle and
Ill tell you what you are doing wrong. Feel free to leave your face off
if it makes you nervous..

Gunner

"Aren't cats Libertarian? They just want to be left alone.
I think our dog is a Democrat, as he is always looking for a handout"
Unknown Usnet Poster

Heh, heh, I'm pretty sure my dog is a liberal - he has no balls.
Keyton