Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tim Wescott Tim Wescott is offline

Default Wood Splitting

On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 17:20:04 -0600, Karl Townsend wrote:

Came across this wood splitting video... the guy has a clever way of
keeping things contained with a Bungee cord and little length of rope:

I've not seen this trick. Looks OK for dead easy to split wood, which is
the extreme minority of wood. I used the maul ONE YEAR. Then I built a
hydraulic wood splitter for the last thirty years. So, it wouldn't apply
here.

Karl

That's like crazy-easy wood to split. The closest I've ever come to that
is madrona, and I don't think it was that easy.

Splitting wood by hand is character-building, and used to be great fun
when I was a kid splitting wood for a little vacation cabin once in a
while. I think if I were heating a house with it I'd get a splitter, too.

--
www.wescottdesign.com